- CalPERS provides actuarial services on pension plans for state, school, and public agency employers and uses periodic actuarial valuations to determine employer contribution rates.
- Actuaries use economic and demographic assumptions to help determine contribution requirements. You can view assumptions used by CalPERS for Public Agencies and Schools (XLSX) and for the State (XLSX).
- Participation in the miscellaneous or safety risk pool is mandatory for all public agency plans with fewer than 100 active members and voluntary for those with more than 100.
- Public agency employers can view Public Agency Actuarial Valuation Reports. State and school employers can browse other actuarial reports.
- Retirement benefits are funded through contributions paid by contracting employers, member contributions, and earnings from CalPERS investments.
- The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) sets authoritative standards of accounting and financial reporting for state and local governments.