Open Enrollment for Retirees
2020 Open Enrollment ended October 16. Changes made during Open Enrollment take effect January 1, 2021.
Are you an Active Member?
Visit our Open Enrollment for Active Members web page to get open enrollment information specific to our retired members. Retirees can explore their options below.
Important Health Enrollment Reminders
- Be aware that a medical group ending its contract with a health plan doesn't create a qualifying event to change plans outside of Open Enrollment.
- You'll receive new health plan ID cards if you changed your health plan or enrolled for the first time.
- ID cards are issued by each health plan, not by CalPERS. Contact your health plan directly if you need additional cards.
- Carefully review your January pay warrant to ensure the health plan premium deduction was made when you change health plans, enroll for the first time, or add/delete dependents.
- If you changed plans during Open Enrollment and you don't see the correct deduction applied by your February warrant, contact CalPERS.
- If you changed health plans, don't continue to use your previous health plan after December 31, 2020.
Health & Medicare
Forms & Publications
- Your Guide to Choosing a Health Plan (PDF)
- 2021 Health Benefit Summary (PDF)
- 2020-21 Open Enrollment Newsletter (PDF)
- 2020 Health Benefit Summary (PDF)
- Health Program Guide(PDF)
- Health Benefits Plan Enrollment for Active Employees (HBD-12) (PDF)
- Health Benefits Plan Enrollment for Retirees and Survivors (HBD-30) (PDF)
- Medicare Enrollment Guide (PDF)