Business Rules & myCalPERS Classes
Our instructor-led and self-paced online classes support you in all your CalPERS business. Our employer training classes will help you understand the importance of your business-related reporting responsibilities, how to use myCalPERS, and how to avoid late fees and administrative costs.
Our educators can visit your agency to provide tailored education and training at no cost. Email your training request to our employer education team.
Join our in-person and virtual classes with live instructors to learn retirement and health business rules, and how to navigate through myCalPERS and process transactions.
Gain a better understanding of the laws and rules associated with your agency’s retirement and/or health contract. Our classes are employer-specific and customized to your employer type: school, public agency, or state.
- Business Rules (3 hours) — Know the laws and rules associated with your agency’s retirement contract and discover valuable resources to assist you with your CalPERS-related business. Learn about reference guides, retirement contracts, membership, payroll, special compensation, retirement benefits, reporting responsibilities, and the CalPERS website.
- Advanced Compensation Reporting* (1.5 hours) — Expand your compensation reporting knowledge with an in-depth look at the laws and rules associated with compensation reporting. Topics include pay schedule compliance, compensation limits and how to report, reporting scenarios and errors, and language templates for labor agreements.
- Advanced Membership* (1.5 hours) — Go beyond the basics of membership reporting with an in-depth look at the laws and rules associated with correctly enrolling and reporting your employees’ CalPERS membership. Topics include employment certification, membership qualifications, reciprocal self-certification, independent contractors, and working after retirement.
- Business Rules: Health (2.5 hours) — Understand your responsibilities as a CalPERS health benefits officer. Learn about the health plan options, eligibility and enrollment requirements, health benefits into retirement, health resources on the CalPERS website, health benefits guides, and reporting responsibilities.
*It’s recommended, but not required, you take the Business Rules class as a prerequisite for your agency type.
Learn how to navigate and process transactions in myCalPERS. Attend an in-person class for a hands-on learning experience where you can complete transactions in a training environment or attend a virtual class and walk through the scenarios in our student guides with an instructor.
- myCalPERS System Access Administration (2 hours) — Learn the roles and responsibilities of a myCalPERS system access administrator, add and maintain your agency's contacts and system users, and maintain your agency's information.
- Student Guide - myCalPERS System Access Administration (PDF, 1.14 MB)
- myCalPERS Retirement Enrollment (2 hours) — Verify membership status, add or change appointments for active employees and retired annuitants, and reconcile and maintain appointment statuses.
- Student Guide - myCalPERS Retirement Enrollment (PDF, 2.08 MB)
- myCalPERS Payroll Reporting (2.5 hours) — Use the online-data-entry method to create an earned period report, add and maintain records, process a report, and reconcile missing payroll.
- Student Guide - myCalPERS Payroll Reporting (PDF, 2.50 MB)
- myCalPERS Payroll Adjustments (2.5 hours) — Use the online-data-entry method to report retroactive payroll records and make corrections.
- Student Guide - myCalPERS Payroll Adjustments (PDF, 2.04 MB)
- myCalPERS Health Enrollment (3 hours) — Learn about health enrollment details, add and update health transactions, manage non-PERS/STRS appointments, and understand health and dental into retirement.
- Student Guide - myCalPERS Health Enrollment (PDF, 2.22 MB)
- Supplemental Material - myCalPERS Health Aid: Health Event Types and Reasons for Employers (PDF)
- myCalPERS Employer Reports (Cognos) (1.5 hours) — Run reports and use the Cognos tools in myCalPERS.
- Student Guide - myCalPERS Employer Reports (Cognos) (PDF)
Self-Paced Online Classes
Take our online classes available 24 hours a day. We offer classes to help you understand retirement and health business rules, navigate myCalPERS, and perform transactions.
- CalPERS 101: More Than Just a Retirement System
- Retirement Contracts for Public Agencies & Schools
- Qualifications for California State Universities (CSU)
- Qualifications for Public Agencies, State Agencies & Schools
- Requirements for Public Agencies & Schools
- Working After Retirement
- The Importance of Accurately Reporting Payroll
- Special Compensation for Public Agencies & Schools
- Health Plan Options
- Health Benefits Officer Roles & Responsibilities
- Health Eligibility Requirements
- Health Enrollment
- Health Benefits Into Retirement
- Retiree Dental & Vision Coverage (state only)
- Survivor Health Benefits
- Contracting Agency Health Billing (public agency & schools only)
- Submit an Inquiry
- Maintain Your Agency’s Address & Communication Information
- Add & Maintain Business Partner Contacts
- Change Username, Unlock Account & Reset Password
- Navigate Your Retirement Contract Benefits
- Adding a Position Title
- Add a New Appointment
- Enrolling a Retired Annuitant
- Adding Appointment Events
- Copy Forward an Earned Period Report
- Maintain Payroll Records
- Manage Records in a Payroll Report
- Report a Zero Payroll Record
- Reporting & Adjusting Special Compensation
- Reporting Earnings Over the Compensation Limit
- Request Extension for an Earned Period Report
- Adjustment Reports
- View Service & Transaction History
- New Enrollment
- Non-CalPERS Enrollment
- Change Plan
- Add a Dependent
- Delete Dependent
- COBRA Enrollment for Deleted Dependents
- COBRA Enrollment for Employees
- Dental Enrollment Into Retirement
- Set Up Direct Pay
- Billing Reconciliation
- Add a Payment Account
- Paying a Receivable
- Projected Contributions
- View Billing & Payment Summary & Payment History
- Reports: Generate & Schedule Cognos Reports
- Retirement Appointment Reconciliation
- Out-of-Class Reporting