Four months before you turn 65, CalPERS will begin sending you letters to request information about your eligibility for Medicare. Three months before you turn 65, you'll need to complete these steps:

  1. Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 to apply for Medicare. The rules for enrollment into Medicare depend upon your working status once you turn 65.
  2. Complete and return the Certification of Medicare Status (PDF) to CalPERS along with a copy of supporting documents. Make sure to return this form as soon as you receive your CalPERS notice and Medicare card to prevent any lapse of your CalPERS health coverage.

Refer to the Medicare Enrollment Guide (PDF) for:

  • An overview of the Medicare program
  • CalPERS Medicare Health Plan options
  • Frequently asked questions
  • Resources and definitions of terms
  • When and how to enroll in the CalPERS Medicare Health Plan

Deferring Medicare Part B Enrollment

If you or your spouse are still working after age 65, and have health benefits under that active employment's group health plan, you may be eligible to defer your Medicare Part B enrollment. Contact SSA for specific information about Medicare benefits, premiums, enrollment, deferral, and eligibility.