Divisions & Offices
Choose from the list below for more information about the specific services offered by each division or office:
Our Actuarial Office prepares separate actuarial valuations for the state, school employers, and each contracting public agency every year. The valuations are based on adopted benefits, actuarial methods, and assumptions set by the board; and membership and financial data for each plan. The valuations compare the assets to the accrued liability for each plan and determine the employer contribution rate for the coming year. Additional actuarial valuations are made throughout the year to determine the impact of benefit improvements, mergers and reclassifications, and legislated changes.
Communications & Stakeholder Relations is responsible for advocating for our members and stakeholders by providing information to state and federal governmental entities. They create and maintain relationships to ensure the integrity of the CalPERS Trust; promote CalPERS as a professional, responsive, well-managed organization; and build support for our policies and programs.
Office of Public Affairs
Our Office of Public Affairs (PAOF) directs and supports effective communications, including member information, media relations, publications management and distribution, graphic design, video production, and internal communications. PAOF also manages the digital content and overall communications strategy for our CalPERS and my|CalPERS websites, and various social media channels.
Stakeholder Relations oversees all activities that directly connect our staff with leadership of key stakeholder groups to ensure the development and maintenance of strong partnerships. By hosting recurring roundtables, briefings, and forums, they serve to establish a clear line of communication with our stakeholders, labor groups, employer and retiree associations, and more. They also coordinate internal and external events for staff, such as large meetings, conferences, forums, and educational events; and identify opportunities for key staff to represent CalPERS at industry conferences at the state, national, and global levels. Additionally, this office fields Public Records Requests to ensure timely and accurate responses.
Legislative Affairs Division
Our Legislative Affairs Division is responsible for identifying, monitoring, and representing CalPERS on state and federal issues that may impact members and employers. It coordinates the analysis of state and federal legislation and advocates the policies and positions of the CalPERS Board of Administration in all appropriate governmental forums.
Diversity Outreach Program
The CalPERS Diversity Outreach Program (CDOP) helps develop inclusive leaders who can effectively manage the changing demographics of the CalPERS workplace and marketplace. CDOP's unique approach to Diversity & Inclusion utilizes a combination of consulting, workshops, and support tools customized to our workforce needs and helps promote a culture of inclusion, engagement, and high performance.
Benefits Services Division
Our Benefit Services Division (BNSD) provides benefits and information to members, retirees, beneficiaries, and survivors. Services include determining eligibility for, and calculation of, Service & Disability Retirements, pre-retirement and post-retirement survivor benefits. They ensure continuation of health benefits coverage for entitled retiring members and eligible survivors, and beneficiaries. They respond to telephone, online, and written requests for information and status inquiries from members, employers, and annuitants. Other services provided to retired members include processing monthly payroll, adjusting benefit payments, processing direct deposit elections, conducting annual tax reporting, processing reinstatements, and handling other post-retirement employment issues. BNSD also administers the retirement programs for Judges' Retirement System, Judges' Retirement System II, and Legislators' Retirement System.
Customer Education & Outreach Division
Our Customer Education & Outreach Division educates CalPERS team members, employers, and members about program benefits and services.
- Regional Offices provide personal assistance with program benefits and services, and educational events. Eight offices are located across the state in Fresno, Glendale, Orange, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Jose, and Walnut Creek.
- The Education Center provides instructor-led and online employer and member education as well as other specialized education requests and materials.
Customer Experience Division
Our Customer Experience Division is the first point of contact for CalPERS employers and members, both active and retired.
- The Customer Contact Center provides a single point of contact to help with all employer and member business. Specially trained CalPERS representatives can be reached at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).
Employer Account Management Division
The Employer Account Management Division provides retirement account management for CalPERS employers and business partners. We assist all employers with compensation and contribution services; membership services including eligibility, member elections, and retirement enrollment assistance; and technical support, and troubleshooting with my|CalPERS. Also part of this division, the State Social Security Administrator provides consultative services to include training, outreach, and education for all California governmental entities regarding their 218 agreements.
Member Account Management Division
The Member Account Management Division provides administrative support to all divisions in the Customer Services & Support Branch and researches information in response to requests from inactive, active, and retired members about refunds, service credit purchases, and retirement account management. Services include determining eligibility, performing calculations, and processing elections for refunds and service credit purchases. In addition, the division is responsible for maintaining members' service credit accounts.
Enterprise Compliance Division
The mission of the Office of Enterprise Compliance is to ensure, promote, and support an organizational culture that builds compliance awareness into the daily business processes for investments, health, and retirement. This mission is accomplished by monitoring CalPERS business activities, policies, and procedures and by establishing an infrastructure that provides assurance to management that program areas comply with all applicable laws, regulations, policies, and best practices.
The office is responsible for establishing and maintaining a system that builds compliance awareness into daily business activities. They also advise the CalPERS Board of Administration and Executive Officers on compliance issues within CalPERS investments, health, and retirement operations.
Enterprise Risk Management Division
The Enterprise Risk Management Division is responsible for creating and maintaining a risk-intelligent culture at CalPERS. This includes providing risk management training, facilitating program risk assessments, and developing tools to assist CalPERS divisions in identifying, monitoring, and mitigating risks.
In addition, the division develops enterprise risk reports for the CalPERS Board of Administration and Executive Officers. These reports detail current and emerging risk levels and mitigation activities, and they are used to ensure CalPERS takes a proactive approach in achieving its vision and mission.
Financial Reporting & Accounting
Our Financial Reporting & Accounting Services (FRAS) manages and directs the accounting activities for all funds and programs administered by CalPERS.
The accounting services section maintains the various accounts required to conduct the financial operations of CalPERS, Legislators, Judges, Judges II, Contingency Reserve, Health Care, and Social Security Funds. They maintain records of all income, disbursements, and transfers for the funds' accounts and all cash receipts and disbursements for various investments and benefit payments. They also initiate payments of contracting public agency premiums to health plans.
Financial Planning, Policy & Budgeting Division
Our Financial Planning, Policy & Budgeting Division (FPPB) coordinates the funding for the administration of all CalPERS programs. They provide support for management systems to assist CalPERS in improving operational efficiency and effectiveness.
The budget management section coordinates, develops, and monitors the annual operating budget for CalPERS and gathers workload information for management.
Supplemental Income Program
The Supplemental Income Program administers two defined contribution plans for public agency members. These plans include the CalPERS Supplemental Income 457 Plan, as well as the Supplemental Contribution Plan.
The Legal Office provides legal advice to the CalPERS Board of Administration, Executive Office, and staff regarding benefit, membership, contract, health care, and investment issues. Staff attorneys also represent CalPERS at court cases, subrogation, collections, and other legal actions. They also coordinate Attorney General representation at hearings before the Office of Administrative Hearings, Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, and Board of Control.
Office of Audit Services
The Office of Audit Services assists the CalPERS Board of Administration and chief executive officer in the effective and efficient management of our activities. The office, in concert with the external auditor engaged by the board, provides an independent appraisal of our operations and programs. The office performs comprehensive reviews of our programs, vendors, health plans, investment managers, and public agency employers. Staff also respond to requests for special reviews and consulting projects. As provided in the charter, the Office of Audit Services submits an audit plan to the Risk & Audit Committee for adoption.
Health Account Management Division
The Health Account Management Division provides health and retirement account management for members and employers.
Health Account Services
- Acts as the health benefits officer for more than 435,000 state and contracting agency retirees
- Performs state retiree dental eligibility determination, and processes state retiree dental enrollment changes, additions, and cancellations
- Focal point for more than 244,000 Medicare members enrolled in the health program
- Assists Medicare eligible members with notification and enrollment in a CalPERS Medicare health plan
- Provides health and dental eligibility and enrollment services for state and contracting agency retirees
- Resolves Medicare inquiries and processes Medicare health transactions
- Provides health program consultation services for public agency and school employers, raising awareness about the Public Employees' Medical & Hospital Care Act (PEMHCA) program to make informed decisions about CalPERS sponsored health plans
- Works directly with public agency and schools when they elect, amend, or terminate their health contracts.
- Invoices public agency employers for health premiums for PERS, STRS, and other active members and annuitants.
- Assists public agency valuation requests and contract amendments to increase, change, or decrease optional benefits
- Processes all transactions related to enrolling members in to CalPERS
- Provides consultation on retirement laws for potential new contracting public agencies
- Works with contracting agencies when they elect, amend, or terminate their health contract
- Assists public agencies, state agencies, and school employers with posting payroll records timely and accurately
- Invoices public agency employers for health premiums
- Performs employee compensation reviews to ensure compliance with the Public Employees' Retirement Law (PERL)
Administration & Project Management
- Develops and revises health benefit and retirement forms and publications
- Handles various aspects of services for health deductions, retroactive health premiums, and the Complementary Annuitant Premium Program members
- Liaisons with Health Account Services to provide division support services to the Health Account Management Division
- Plans, designs, and delivers health technical training to CalPERS staff and health benefits officers
- Prepares health Open Enrollment materials and articles for various newsletters
- Provides maintenance and support of the health system interfaces with the health and dental carriers
- Provides support for the annual open enrollment activities, data extract for the health statements, retiree web tools, Health Plan Search by ZIP Code tool, and full file transfers between CalPERS and vendors
Health Plan Administration Division
Our Health Plan Administration Division ensures CalPERS provides competitive health benefit programs that reduce health care costs while maintaining quality. The division:
- Catalogs CalPERS health plan policies
- Contracts with health plans and pharmacy benefit managers to implement and monitor
- Develops full business cases for proposed changes to health benefit design
- Formulates proposed policy changes
Health Policy Research Division
Our Health Policy Research Division ensures that CalPERS health plan leaders are well informed with actionable guidance on emerging trends in the industry, among its membership and employer base, and in regulation. The division:
- Analyzes CalPERS health plan data for emerging trends
- Collects and catalogs raw ideas and develops new value positions for testing
- Develops CalPERS public policy positions on emerging issues
- Drives primary consumer research to identify broad consumer needs
- Monitors industry, regulatory, customer, and other trends
Under the general direction of the CalPERS Board of Administration, Investment Committee, and Executive Office, the Investment Office is responsible for the successful investment of CalPERS funds. Individual investment decisions are made by an internal trading staff as well as external equity managers on behalf of the board. Trading decisions are governed by policies established by the Investment Committee in accordance with applicable law and are reported to the Investment Committee on a monthly basis.
The Global Equity Program is responsible for managing CalPERS investments in securities traded on any public equity market. The Income Program primarily consists of U.S. and international fixed income strategies. CalPERS' Private Equity Program specializes in private equity investments. The Real Assets Program comprises of three distinct portfolios: Real Estate, Infrastructure, and Forestland.
Enterprise Strategy & Performance Division
Our Enterprise Strategy & Performance Division provides services across a broad range of activities to enhance organizational efficiencies. They guide CalPERS strategic and business planning, internal innovation, organizational development, project oversight, and business process enhancements.
Human Resources Division
Our Human Resources Division recruits, trains, evaluates, promotes, and retains a high-quality work force. The division:
- Administers employee benefits
- Determines appropriate position classification and compensation levels
- Manages an extensive examination and recruitment program
- Oversees the CalPERS Employee Assistance Program, Employee Relations, Recognition, Safety, Wellness, and Return to Work programs
- Provides ongoing management advice and consultation concerning human resources issues
Information Technology Services Branch
Our Information Technology Services Branch (ITSB) partners with business stakeholders to design and implement technology solutions that add business value and deliver customer focused results. Services include system analysis, design, programming, testing, implementation, and maintenance for major computer systems and databases. The branch provides technical support and training for personal computers, local area networks, and office automation facilities. In support of innovation, the branch also conducts research, evaluation, and development of new information technology products and facilities to align with the CalPERS mission.
Enterprise Solutions Development Division (ESDD)
ESDD is responsible for application architecture, application development, and maintenance of custom business solutions, and integration with commercial off-the-shelf software. ESDD leads the major facets of the software development lifecycle including business analysis, user experience and interactive design, user research, development, and quality assurance for CalPERS systems, websites, and applications. ESDD leverages rapid application development techniques for implementing innovative solutions in support of enterprise operations and business needs.
Information Security Office (ISOF)
ISOF oversees information security and privacy at CalPERS. They work closely with our program areas to protect member privacy and the safety of CalPERS information assets. ISOF creates security policies and ensures we're conforming to security, privacy and HIPAA laws and regulations. They also monitor our technology systems for suspicious activity, manage information security incidents, and increase security awareness through training and communications.
Technology Business Management Division (TBMD)
TBMD is responsible for ITSB's strategy and operational integrity to deliver IT products and services. They plan and design enterprise architecture, provide project and portfolio management, deliver business intelligence and data analytics services, and manage ITSB's service management program. TBMD also oversees ITSB's financial management and resource planning, providing sound business management and support to the enterprise.
Technology Infrastructure Services Division (TISD)
TISD is responsible for managing all CalPERS IT infrastructure services, personal productivity tools, and provides a single point of contact for incident reporting and service fulfillment.
Operations Support Services Division
The Operations Support Services Division provides a variety of essential support services to the CalPERS Board of Administration, management, and staff pertaining to work environment and day-to-day operational needs. Primary responsibilities include:
- Contract services
- Copy and printing services
- Facilities and building services
- Mailroom and receiving services
- Parking and rideshare
- Purchasing services
- Records, forms, and imaging services
Policy Research & Data Analytics
Policy Research & Data Analytics (PRDA) provides research, guidance, and data analytics to CalPERS on critical retirement-related issues. PRDA employs research techniques to proactively plan for CalPERS' long-term security, assess the impact of potential retirement policy changes, and use data analytics to drive business decisions. The division:
- Provides objective policy research, analysis, and recommendations to resolve key retirement policy issues and ensure alignment between statutory compliance and business practices
- Conducts objective pension policy research and analysis to support CalPERS Strategic & Business Plan objectives and state and federal retirement policy development
- Leverages retirement data to proactively identify system issues and support fact-based decisions to sustain the viability of CalPERS
- Guides business improvements through industry research, policy research, and advanced data analytics
- Investigates influences of and risks to retirement sustainability and security at the system and individual perspective