Why Choose CalPERS?
People are drawn to work at CalPERS for a number of reasons, including:
- A variety of work and opportunities for career growth
- Inclusive atmosphere and emphasis on communication at all levels
- Personal job satisfaction working in public service
- Training and development
- A multilevel recognition program
- A wellness program
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Continuous professional learning and development opportunities
- Flexibility: alternate work week and/or telework (in some positions)
- Pension and saving plans
Learn more about our employee Benefits and Compensation.
We're located in Sacramento, the capital city of California. It's conveniently situated near first-rate cultural and recreational centers such as San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, the Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills, California coastline, and various wine regions.
You can enjoy the variety of activities Sacramento has to offer – such as fishing, boating, art, theater, and a hometown family environment – or take a two-hour drive in any direction to enjoy camping, skiing, and other resort activities.
We're headquartered at Lincoln Plaza, 400 Q Street, in downtown Sacramento. Our state-of-the-art facility has received numerous awards for its architecture and office space as well as full range of amenities, including:
- 24-hour security
- Day care center
- Fitness center
- Full range of audio-visual capabilities
- Landscaped decks and terraces
- Several nearby secure underground parking facilities and on-site paid parking
Lincoln Plaza is conveniently located near regional public transportation. Our Alternative Commute Program offers a variety of commute assistance alternatives to employees. We also have eight Regional Offices located throughout the state.
What We Do
Since 1932, we've provided retirement benefits for employees at state and local public agencies. We also ensure financial and health security for our members. Our range of products and services has been expanded to include:
- A public agency deferred compensation program
- Employer information workshops
- Financial and retirement planning education
- Health and long-term care benefits
Our job is to provide world-class service. Our continued commitment is to bring value and security to public employees' retirement. Learn more about the CalPERS Story.
Our culture is surrounded by our Core Values of Quality, Respect, Accountability, Integrity, and Balance. We value our employees and recognize our people are our most important asset. Our Informal Mentoring Program and diverse and inclusive environment are a few examples of employee-centric strategies we use to ensure we continue to nurture a diverse, talented workforce.
Mentoring is encouraged at all levels and in all directions. It has many benefits for us and our employees, including:
- Contributes to employee retention and succession planning efforts
- Helps support knowledge transfer
- Leverages employee expertise across the organization
- Supports employee growth and development
Mentoring seeks to build on the existing strengths across the organization. Unlike traditional mentoring programs, mentoring here can be as simple as two or more people getting together to share ideas and knowledge with the goal of learning.
View our videos to learn how informal mentoring has inspired our employees.
CalPERS has a strategic 3-tiered approach to ensure a diverse and inclusive (D&I) environment:
- Workforce - We recruit and retain a high-performance team inclusive of our state's rich diversity.
- Workplace - We actively educate our leadership and staff to increase D&I awareness, understanding, and skills that lead to greater quality, respect, and accountability.
- Marketplace - We serve our members with sensitivity to their diverse perspectives. Our business partners include Small Business and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise firms.
We are the nation's largest public pension fund, within one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse states. We believe the combined experiences, perspectives, and talents of all employees and stakeholders strengthen our high-performance work culture and organization. Our differences are our strengths.
View our Diversity & Inclusion page for more information.