If you move or change your name or contact information for any reason, including Marriage or Divorce, update your employer and CalPERS records. That way we can ensure you receive all your benefit information in a timely manner.

Name Change

As an active member, you must change your name through your employer, unless you're also receiving a monthly benefit through CalPERS.

If you’re an active member receiving a monthly benefit through CalPERS (as a survivor, beneficiary, or other), you'll need to provide us with a copy of your corrected Social Security card before we can change your name in our system. In lieu of the Social Security card, we’ll also accept either:

  • A copy of a letter from a Social Security Office confirming your name change.
  • A receipt from a Social Security Office confirming that you have ordered a new card due to the name change.
  • A copy of a Medicare Part B card that reflects your corrected Social Security name.

For more information about name changes, contact us.

Address Change

Notify your personnel office of your address change and they’ll update your information with CalPERS.

If you have your monthly benefit payment mailed to your home, notify us of your new address as soon as possible. Use one of the options below to let us know:

  • Change your address online by logging in to myCalPERS.
  • Contact us by phone at 888 CalPERS (or 888-225-7377).
  • Download, complete, and return an Address Change Authorization (PDF) form by mailing or faxing it to the number shown on the form.
  • Send us your new address in writing to:
    Benefit Services Division
    P.O Box 942716
    Sacramento, CA 94229-2716

Since you must choose a CalPERS health plan that provides coverage in your work or home ZIP code, a change in your address could mean you have to change plans. You can use our Health Plan Search by ZIP Code online service to see what plans are available in your new ZIP code.

Active Members - Contact your personnel office as soon as possible to update your address and determine if you need to change your health plan.

Retirees - To make a health plan change, log in to your myCalPERS account or contact us.

If you have long-term care coverage, you’ll need to contact LTCG, our third-party administrator for the CalPERS Long-Term Care Program, directly with your new address information, in addition to changing your address with CalPERS. You can log in to LTCPolicyHub to change your address online or call (800) 982-1775 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).

Contact your employer, savings plan, or CalPERS directly with your new address if you participate in the following plans:

If you receive a CalPERS benefit payment, have State of California taxes withheld, and are moving out of state, submit a new signed Tax Withholding Election (PDF) form if you wish to stop California State taxes from being withheld. Consult a tax professional in your new state if you have questions about your tax withholding.