Benefits & Compensation
CalPERS employees are state civil servants.
- After each 12 months of satisfactory performance, employees are eligible to receive a 5 percent merit salary adjustment (MSA) until they reach the maximum salary for the classification.
- Civil service classifications have salary ranges with minimum and maximum rates; new hires start at the minimum salary.
- Special provisions to hire above the minimum salary exist for some positions that are considered hard to recruit.
CalPERS employees are eligible for a number of benefits. Benefit eligibility may depend on length of service and collective bargaining agreements, which are contracts negotiated between the State of California and employee organizations that define employees' wages, hours, and conditions of employment.
Below is a partial list of employee benefits. Some benefits may require an employee contribution.
Retirement and Savings
- 401(k) and 457 Plans (Savings Plus program)
- CalPERS retirement plan
- Savings bonds
- Supplemental contributions plan
Health Care Benefits
- Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- Flexible Benefits Election
- Annual leave
- Catastrophic leave
- Family-related leave
- Leave of absence
- Mentoring leave
- Military leave
- Paid holidays
- Personal holiday
- Regular pay for jury duty
- Sick leave
- CalPERS Long-Term Care
- Discounted public transportation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Group Legal Services Insurance Plan
- Pretax parking
- ScholarShare College Savings Plan
- Worksite Wellness Program
- Industrial disability insurance
- Non-industrial disability insurance
- State Disability Insurance
For more details about employee benefits, visit the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR).