Each toolkit consists of documents and tools needed to build XML files to report health, membership, and payroll to CalPERS. The contents of the toolkit are contained in a ZIP file, which preserves the format of the schema files and eases downloading. You can use WinZip to unpack the files.
Download the Employer's Technical Toolkit (ZIP) and read the Employer's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF) for an overview and instructions on how to extract the files within, including the glossary, download instructions, toolkit contents, file descriptions, and flowcharts.
Additional Guides & Information
Comprehensive Health Event Information (PDF) - This spreadsheet contains my|CalPERS health reason descriptions and more.
- Circular Letter #200-070-11 (PDF) - Access important information regarding the appropriate use of permanent separation dates in my|CalPERS.
- Course 103: Retirement Enrollment Basics for Public Agencies, Schools & Non-Central State Agencies Student Guide (PDF, 1.8 MB) - Learn how to enroll employees into retirement and make changes to existing employees’ accounts using my|CalPERS.
- Course 204: Submitting Payroll Corrections with Adjustments for Public Agencies, Schools & Non-Central State Agencies (PDF) - This student guide provides definitions and procedures on how to perform adjustment transactions through my|CalPERS. Screen shots that correspond with the steps in each procedure are provided.
- Public Agency & Schools Reference Guide (PDF, 2.01 MB) - See the Payroll Chapter.
- Reporting Special Compensation (PDF) - Find general information for all reporting methods, employers paying members contributions, and compensation limits.
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
The new CalPERS ACH ID number is 1946207465. If you pay by EFT, you must establish a new EFT account in my|CalPERS and notify your bank that this CalPERS ACH ID number is assigned to an approved payee. Without this preapproval, your EFT payment will not be processed by your bank. In the event you submitted an EFT using the incorrect CalPERS ACH ID, please resubmit the EFT with the new CalPERS ACH ID listed above.
Mail checks to:
Employer Contracts & Payroll Reporting
P.O. Box 1982
Sacramento, CA 95812-1982
P.O. Box 4032
Sacramento, CA 95812-4032
Financial Reporting & Accounting Services Division
400 Q Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Download the DAV Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 29 MB) and refer to the documents below for additional information.
- Find definitions of commonly used system terms in the Direct Authorization Glossary of Terms (PDF).
- For a brief description of the elements within the toolkit and to quickly locate the tool you need, review the DAV's Quick Reference Guide (PDF).
- For an overview of the toolkit and instructions about how to extract the elements within, read the DAV's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF).
- Review how to prepare and test deduction request files and register retrieval in the readiness file testing environment in the my|CalPERS File Readiness Testing Instructions for Direct Authorization Vendors (PDF, 1.25 MB).
- To learn about performing tasks within the system, refer to the my|CalPERS Direct Authorization Vendor User Guide (PDF, 4.43 MB).
- To see which files were recently updated in the toolkit, view the DAV Technical Toolkit Content Changes (PDF).
2015 Transaction Dates
Please follow the schedule below to ensure your transactions are processed for the affected warrant. Due to earlier business closing dates, it's necessary for CalPERS to revise the deadline for processing monthly deduction transactions.
|Business Month||Affected Warrant||Deadline|
|January||Feb 1, 2015||Jan 2, 2015|
|February||Mar 1, 2015||Jan 30, 2015|
|March||Apr 1, 2015||Mar 6, 2015|
|April||May 1, 2015||Apr 3, 2015|
|May||Jun 1, 2015||May 1, 2015|
|June||Jul 1, 2015||Jun 5, 2015|
|July||Aug 1, 2015||Jul 3, 2015|
|August||Sep 1, 2015||Aug 7, 2015|
|September||Oct 1, 2015||Sep 4, 2015|
|October||Nov 1, 2015||Oct 2, 2015|
|November||Dec 1, 2015||Oct 30, 2015|
|December||Jan 1, 2016||Dec 4, 2015|
Additional Guides & Information
For additional information not included in the Carrier Technical Toolkit, please review the implementation, interface, and file format guides and documents below.
- Addenda to the X12N Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance Implementation Guide - Part I (PDF, 13 MB) - Learn about the May 2002 Addenda to the X12N 00410095 Implementation Guide for use under HIPAA.
- Addenda to the X12N Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance Implementation Guide - Part II (PDF, 17 MB) - Learn about the May 2002 Addenda to the X12N 00410095 Implementation Guide for use under HIPAA.
- my|CalPERS Readiness Guide for Health and Dental Carriers and Associations (PDF) - Help your organization assess its readiness to conduct business with CalPERS utilizing my|CalPERS.
Interface and File Format
- HIPAA Transaction Set Standard Dental Companion Guide (PDF) - Obtain detailed information about daily and full ANSI 834 files. This guide also includes code tables.
- HIPAA Transaction Set Standard Health Companion Guide (PDF) - Obtain detailed information about daily and full ANSI 834 files. This guide also includes code tables.
- Health and Dental Carriers, and Associations Information Packet (DOC, 1.19 MB) - Learn about the new interfaces and file formats.
- Middleware File Transport Services (External) (PDF) - The File Transport Service (FTS) is designed to allow external applications to move files from one FTP location (source) to another FTP location (target) using FTP.
Data Element Definitions
If you only need to access Data Element Definitions, select the relevant file below:
- Health Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
- Payroll Contribution Reporting (PDF)
- Retirement Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
- State Agency Health Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
- State Agency Retirement Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
my|CalPERS Technical Requirements
- Carrier Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 27 MB)
- DAV Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 29 MB)
- Employer's Technical Toolkit (ZIP)
Forms & Publications
- Carrier's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF)
- DAV's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF)
- Employer's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF)
- Public Agency & Schools Reference Guide (PDF, 2.01 MB)