Each toolkit consists of documents and tools needed to build XML files to report health, membership, and payroll to CalPERS. The contents of the toolkit are contained in a ZIP file, which preserves the format of the schema files and eases downloading. You can use WinZip to unpack the files.
Download the Employer's Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 34.6 MB) and read the Employer's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF) for an overview and instructions on how to extract the files within, including the glossary, download instructions, toolkit contents, file descriptions, and flowcharts.
Additional Guides & Information
Comprehensive Health Event Information (PDF) - This spreadsheet contains my|CalPERS health reason descriptions and more.
- Circular Letter #200-070-11 (PDF) - Access important information regarding the appropriate use of permanent separation dates in my|CalPERS.
- Course 103: Retirement Enrollment Basics for Public Agencies, Schools & Non-Central State Agencies Student Guide (PDF, 2.67 MB) - Learn how to enroll employees into retirement and make changes to existing employees’ accounts using my|CalPERS.
- Course 204: Submitting Payroll Corrections with Adjustments for Public Agencies, Schools & Non-Central State Agencies (PDF, 2.47 MB) - This student guide provides definitions and procedures on how to perform adjustment transactions through my|CalPERS. Screen shots that correspond with the steps in each procedure are provided.
- Public Agency & Schools Reference Guide (PDF, 2.01 MB) - See the Payroll Chapter.
- Reporting Special Compensation (PDF) - Find general information for all reporting methods, employers paying members contributions, and compensation limits.
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
The new CalPERS ACH ID number is 1946207465. If you pay by EFT, you must establish a new EFT account in my|CalPERS and notify your bank that this CalPERS ACH ID number is assigned to an approved payee. Without this preapproval, your EFT payment will not be processed by your bank. In the event you submitted an EFT using the incorrect CalPERS ACH ID, please resubmit the EFT with the new CalPERS ACH ID listed above.
Mail checks to:
Employer Contracts & Payroll Reporting
P.O. Box 1982
Sacramento, CA 95812-1982
P.O. Box 4032
Sacramento, CA 95812-4032
Financial Reporting & Accounting Services Division
400 Q Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Download the DAV Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 29 MB) and refer to the documents below for additional information.
- Find definitions of commonly used system terms in the Direct Authorization Glossary of Terms (PDF).
- For a brief description of the elements within the toolkit and to quickly locate the tool you need, review the DAV's Quick Reference Guide (PDF).
- For an overview of the toolkit and instructions about how to extract the elements within, read the DAV's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF).
- Review how to prepare and test deduction request files and register retrieval in the readiness file testing environment in the my|CalPERS File Readiness Testing Instructions for Direct Authorization Vendors (PDF, 1.25 MB).
- To learn about performing tasks within the system, refer to the my|CalPERS Direct Authorization Vendor User Guide (PDF, 4.43 MB).
- To see which files were recently updated in the toolkit, view the DAV Technical Toolkit Content Changes (PDF).
2015 Transaction Dates
Please follow the schedule below to ensure your transactions are processed for the affected warrant. Due to earlier business closing dates, it's necessary for CalPERS to revise the deadline for processing monthly deduction transactions.
|Business Month||Affected Warrant||Deadline|
|January||Feb 1, 2015||Jan 2, 2015|
|February||Mar 1, 2015||Jan 30, 2015|
|March||Apr 1, 2015||Mar 6, 2015|
|April||May 1, 2015||Apr 3, 2015|
|May||Jun 1, 2015||May 1, 2015|
|June||Jul 1, 2015||Jun 5, 2015|
|July||Aug 1, 2015||Jul 3, 2015|
|August||Sep 1, 2015||Aug 7, 2015|
|September||Oct 1, 2015||Sep 4, 2015|
|October||Nov 1, 2015||Oct 2, 2015|
|November||Dec 1, 2015||Oct 30, 2015|
|December||Jan 1, 2016||Dec 4, 2015|
Additional Guides & Information
For additional information not included in the Carrier Technical Toolkit, please review the implementation, interface, and file format guides and documents below.
- Addenda to the X12N Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance Implementation Guide - Part I (PDF, 13 MB) - Learn about the May 2002 Addenda to the X12N 00410095 Implementation Guide for use under HIPAA.
- Addenda to the X12N Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance Implementation Guide - Part II (PDF, 17 MB) - Learn about the May 2002 Addenda to the X12N 00410095 Implementation Guide for use under HIPAA.
- my|CalPERS Readiness Guide for Health and Dental Carriers and Associations (PDF) - Help your organization assess its readiness to conduct business with CalPERS utilizing my|CalPERS.
Interface and File Format
- HIPAA Transaction Set Standard Dental Companion Guide (PDF) - Obtain detailed information about daily and full ANSI 834 files. This guide also includes code tables.
- HIPAA Transaction Set Standard Health Companion Guide (PDF) - Obtain detailed information about daily and full ANSI 834 files. This guide also includes code tables.
- Health and Dental Carriers, and Associations Information Packet (DOC, 1.19 MB) - Learn about the new interfaces and file formats.
- Middleware File Transport Services (External) (PDF) - The File Transport Service (FTS) is designed to allow external applications to move files from one FTP location (source) to another FTP location (target) using FTP.
Data Element Definitions
If you only need to access Data Element Definitions, select the relevant file below:
- Health Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
- Payroll Contribution Reporting (PDF)
- Retirement Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
- State Agency Health Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
- State Agency Retirement Enrollment Reporting (PDF)
my|CalPERS Technical Requirements
- Carrier Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 27 MB)
- DAV Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 29 MB)
- Employer's Technical Toolkit (ZIP, 34.6 MB)
Forms & Publications
- Carrier's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF)
- DAV's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF)
- Employer's Guide to the Technical Toolkit (PDF)
- Public Agency & Schools Reference Guide (PDF, 2.01 MB)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can we continue to receive the Deduction Register Report via FTP even if we use online data entry to submit deductions?
Reporting methods for inbound deduction requests and receiving the Deduction Register Report can differ. You can receive the Deduction Register Report via FTP if you submit deduction requests using online data entry.
- How does my|CalPERS recognize if an employee has previously been enrolled as a member?
You can look up an employee by their Social Security number within the Personal Summary Information page to see if they have ever been a CalPERS member. When you enroll a new member, the system will search to see if that member has a Participant ID already established. If they do, then that Participant ID will be returned to the employer who is enrolling the employee into the position.
- How quickly will a participant CalPERS ID be returned for add deduction request records submitted using a Social Security number?
The participant CalPERS ID will be returned as soon as the add deduction request transaction is processed and posts successfully.
- If an annuitant is working for our agency as well as another agency, is the 960-hour maximum applicable to each agency?
The 960-hour per fiscal year limit is tracked across all participating CalPERS employers for a combined total.
- If an employee works full-time for one employer and works part-time for another employer, do both employers need to report contributions for this employee?
If a participant works for multiple employers, each employer must submit retirement enrollment information and report payroll and contributions. The system will determine the existence of an overtime position and notify the impacted employer(s).
- If I choose to receive the Deduction Register Report (or Carrier Register) via FTP, can I specify the file format I would like to receive the file?
If you choose to receive the Deduction Register Report via FTP, it will be in XML. You can also download it as a CSV file by accessing the report in my|CalPERS using the Cognos application.
- If we receive direct deposits via Automated Clearing House (ACH) and individual payroll deductions via paper check and list, do we need to handle changes for both types?
There are no changes to the direct deposits you receive via ACH to the participant’s account for their net retirement benefit. You can receive the deduction payments via direct deposit to your credit union and use the Deduction Register Report to reconcile the payment for posting to the participant’s account.