CalPERS Chief Health Director Career Opportunity
CalPERS is currently recruiting for the position of Deputy Executive Officer, Chief Health Director of the Benefit Programs Policy and & Planning (BPPP) Group.
Under the administration of the CalPERS Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Health Director serves as a key member of the CalPERS executive team and is responsible for the administration and overall management of all aspects of the CalPERS health benefit and long-term care insurance programs for which the Board of Administration has plenary fiduciary responsibility.
The Benefit Programs Policy and & Planning (BPPP) Group functions in a very dynamic environment and responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the CalPERS Health Benefits Program and the Long-Term Care Program
- Proactively addressing public policy issues that impact CalPERS' mission - such as health care reform and the sustainability of pension benefits
- Developing new health and retirement products for CalPERS members and employers
- Ensuring CalPERS has information to support retirement security
- Demonstrating retirement industry leadership
- Providing in-depth policy analyses to state and federal governmental entities
- Educating CalPERS about relevant changes in state and federal laws
- Working with members and stakeholders to ensure the integrity of the CalPERS trust
- End-to-end business intelligence
BPPP is made up of the following divisions:
- Health Plan Administration Division
- Health Policy Research Division
- Retirement Research & Planning Division
Application Process & Recruitment Schedule
For more information and to apply, view the Deputy Executive Officer, Chief Health Director Job Posting.
The position will remain open until filled, and resumes will be reviewed in relation to the full position description on an ongoing basis, beginning immediately. Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be given preliminary interviews. Background checks will be conducted on finalist candidates.
If you have further questions or concerns, contact Michele.Samonte@calpers.ca.gov or call (916) 795-9360.
- Strong leadership skills, and the ability to think strategically and function effectively as a member of a top management team
- Communication and negotiating skills, as well as experience with presenting complex issues before a wide range of audiences, including boards, stakeholder groups, and government officials
- A variety of financial experience as it relates to case management, financial arrangements, payment plans, underwriting, and contract documentation
- The ability to build and organize a new program, integrate existing program functions, develop new policies, systems and procedures, and build a cohesive performing team
- Proven ability to build a culture of trust and transparency while influencing boards and senior management teams with divergent opinions
- Experience working in an administrative or executive capacity in the area of policy development and direction related to contracts, public policy, legislative issues, or other related areas
- Ability to effectively partner with diverse internal stakeholders representing various lines of business, such as actuarial, audits, legal, and investments, in order to achieve positive outcomes for the organization
- Knowledge of the California Public Employees' Retirement System's organizational governance, goals, functions, and policies
Candidates should possess experience or strong indicators of success in several of the following areas:
- Health care policy - public sector
- Strategic thinking
- Public speaking
- Program management
- Project management
The annual salary range is $123,324 - $181,548, with the opportunity to earn an annual performance award of up to 15 percent of base salary. Placement within the range will be dependent on qualifications. Relocation may be provided. Features on the comprehensive benefit package include:
- Retirement (defined benefit plan), 401(k) and 457 deferred compensation plans
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- Basic group life insurance
- Group legal services
- Annual Leave Program
- Non-industrial disability insurance
Employees have access to a wellness program, fitness center, and related group activities. Our campus includes a child care center (check for availability) and full service café that serves fresh, healthy food choices. CalPERS also offers a robust training program, formal and informal recognition programs, and frequent networking, mentoring, and community involvement activities.
Download Printable Version (PDF).