CalPERS Chief Financial Officer Career Opportunity
CalPERS is currently recruiting for the position of Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
Under the administration of the CalPERS Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial Officer promotes the sound and secure operation of all CalPERS financial enterprises through management and control of its financial systems and risk programs. The CFO provides briefings and expert consultation and advice to the CalPERS Board of Administration and executive management team.
Application & Exam Process
The job announcement may be accessed online. The job announcement provides a full description of the position and a link to the Exam Bulletin.
An examination is required for appointment to this position. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications, as described in the Exam Bulletin, to compete in the examination.
Applications/Resumes will be reviewed in relation to the full position description on an ongoing basis. Candidates with a combination of the most relevant qualifications and exam results will be given preliminary interviews.
For further information regarding the CFO position, contact:
CalPERS Executive Recruitment
The CFO must be a seasoned and respected professional with at least 10 years of experience in a large pension fund or financial institution managing complex financial operations, and possess the following competencies:
- A strong team player who is committed to identifying ways to do things in a unique way that will benefit the financial operations of the organization.
- The ability to manage and lead other finance professionals in an open and collegial environment.
- A person who has intellectual curiosity and a questioning nature to insure that no stone is left unturned in identifying effective finance strategies, processes, and procedures.
- A history of critical thinking that allows the individual to know what the right thing is for the finance function of the company.
- A strong quantitative orientation and grounding combined with the judgment to know when academic solutions need to be overwritten.
- A decisive orientation supported by a significant research and analysis.
- Adapts effectively to changing market conditions.
- Works effectively with a broad variety of external contacts, such as external consultants and governing bodies.
- Makes clear and concise oral and written presentations.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of work.
- Plans and directs the Finance Office team, while effectively promoting equal opportunity in employment and maintaining a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
- Acts in a professional manner and demonstrates a high degree of integrity, honesty, and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrates openness and trust.
- Establishes and builds rapport by modeling values- based behaviors.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and mentoring skills.
- Promotes teamwork and cross-functional collaboration and communications in support of CalPERS strategic goals.
- Promotes a high-performance culture where employees are encouraged and enabled to perform to their greatest potential.
The CFO must possess exceptional leadership qualities and management capabilities, and have a demonstrated track record of leading people to perform. Candidates will likely be sitting CFOs with increasingly responsible experience across all financial functions.
Candidates must have worked in sophisticated and complex businesses with a specific focus on large pension funds, global financial institutions, asset managers, and other diversified financial services companies.
A bachelor's degree in either accounting, finance, actuarial science, economics, or a closely related business administration field is required; an advanced degree is desirable. A professional certification such as a CPA or CFA is also preferred.
The annual salary range is $210,000 - $310,000, with the opportunity to earn an annual performance award of up to 40 percent of base salary. Placement within the range will be dependent on qualifications. Relocation may be provided. Features on the comprehensive benefit package include:
- Retirement (defined benefit plan), 401(k) and 457 deferred compensation plans
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- Basic group life insurance
- Group legal services
- Annual Leave Program
- Non-industrial disability insurance
Employees have access to a wellness program, fitness center, and related group activities. Our campus includes a child care center (check for availability) and full service café that serves fresh, healthy food choices. CalPERS also offers a robust training program, formal and informal recognition programs, and frequent networking, mentoring, and community involvement activities.
Download Printable Version (PDF).