Retirement Planning Checklist
1 Year Before Retiring
- Use the Retirement Estimate Calculator to estimate your monthly benefit.
- Enroll in member education classes through the CalPERS Education Center.
- Estimate the cost of purchasing additional service credit using our Service Credit Cost Estimator.
- Contact Us if you have a community property claim on your retirement benefits. You must provide CalPERS a copy of the court order resolving the claim before you can receive retirement and/or health benefits.
9 Months Before Retiring
- If you're also a member of another public retirement system in California, there are steps you need to take to ensure you receive all the benefits you deserve from each system. Refer to When You Change Retirement Systems (PDF) for more information.
- If you have Social Security or other non-CalPERS benefits coming later after retirement, you might want to increase your monthly CalPERS income until those benefits begin. See if temporary annuity is right for you.
6 Months Before Retiring
- Fill out and mail the Retirement Allowance Estimate Request Form (PDF).
- Review the Service Retirement Election Application (PDF) and think about the different retirement payment options available to you.
- View important information on taxes and your retirement.
4-5 Months Before Retiring
- Start completing the Service Retirement Election Application (PDF) and see what required documents you'll need.
- After taking a member education class, schedule an appointment if you need more information or assistance with your retirement paperwork. Decide which appointment to make and then log on to my|CalPERS to schedule a date.
3-4 Months Before Retiring
- Finish completing your retirement application.
- Complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form (PDF) (also contained in the retirement application) to ensure your monthly benefit payments are securely deposited at your financial institution.
3 Months Before Retiring
- Submit your completed retirement application and the required documents to CalPERS. Your application can be submitted in person at a CalPERS Regional Office, by mail, or online using my|CalPERS. Be sure to keep a copy of all the documents submitted for your own record.
- Find out what happens next after you submit your application.
- View other things to consider for important information on continuing health benefits and other programs into retirement.